Monday, September 12, 2011

Hey Tiki!


I love symbols and talismans. Lucky for me I have a sister-in-law who is part Maori, with a family still connected to their heritage. It was through Rene that I was introduced to the world of the Hei-tiki, commonly referred to as tiki. Considered a fertility symbol, tikis are carved out of wood, bone and also Pounamu (or Greenstone/Nephrite Jade). Greenstone has strong healing properties, and being green in colour is connected to the heart chakra for emotional healing and stability.

When James and I were visiting Auckland he bought me a Hei-tiki made of Pounamu hanging on some cord. It's tradition to have your Hei-tiki given to you as a gift, often one would be given to a woman who was having difficulty conceiving as a gift from her husband's family. I also found myself a beautiful green ceramic Hei-tiki that sits in our bedroom. And so began my collection of Hei-tikis.

A few months after our trip James' boss was heading to NZ, and knowing my love of Greenstone he asked her to buy me something while she was there. He gave no more instructions than it had to be Greenstone. Here came Hei-tiki number 3! Of all the symbols she channeled the one I loved the best and this little family of tikis began to grow. Since then my mum's also bought me a carved silver pendant of a Hei-tiki and I know it's only a matter of time before another one crosses my path.

I haven't worn my Hei-tikis in a while. Maybe it's time to let them work their magic on me?

2 comments:

  1. HI there

    Where did you get the picture of the tiki from? This tiki has been in my collection for many years. JKM COLLECTION of Maori artifacts. www.maoriartifacts.com

    Most interested

    Kindest regards

    ReplyDelete